Back to Vaksdal Bygdebok


  Located northwest of Stamnes. Between Stamneshagen and Kallestad the fjord narrows into a strait. The farm name was written Kallastadher 1303, Kallastadhir 1427, Kaldestad 1610 and Kadestad Kallestad 1620, 1667 and 1723. The target pronunciation is kadlestå, and it is named for the crossing points across the strait between the mainland and Osterøy (see gardsnr. 36 Kallvik about the name). From Kallestad there is now a road suitable for automobiles along the coast to Gammersvik, continuing from there to Grøsvik and Toskedal. This road has been available since about 1914. It continues on to the neighboring farm of Kallvik

  Kallestad borders Gammersvik, Toskedal and Kallvik. The border with Gammersvik begins in Toskhellerelva coast, then follows the river south to the edge of southern Sedbakken. Here the border with Toskedal begins. It goes first to the southeast to Krossdalselva, further to the south of Flåhaugen, then southwest to a mountain valley in the Lammedalen, southeasterly to Grånovbotn. Here the border with Kallvik begins. See further under Kallvik.

  The ending "staðir" in the name of the farm shows that the farm had been settled by the year 700 AD. There is no evidence that the farm was abandoned after the Black Death. At the beginning of the 1600s there was a user. Around the middle of 1600 there were 2 users here, and from about 1690 we get a permanent division into two equal users. This is still the way it is, but there have been some smaller parts separated out in recent years. In 1701 there was a crofter here, but otherwise, there is no evidence of that until 1849 when there was a registered leasehold in place on "Støleneset. " It was later called Sandalen. In 1931 Sandalen was spun off as an independent operation. Another farm, Nytun, was separated out in 1908. Solheim farm was separated out in 1909. Elsewhere there are some ruins. Mostly inhabitants are down by the sea and the road.

  The old farm where the main users still have their houses, lies a bit farther from the sea, in the upper edge of the cultivated land area. Behind the courtyard are the outlying fields. Here it is very rocky and stoney almost down to bøgarden [translates as fenced in meadow]. In 1863 it is reported that it is vulnerable to rockslides. Otherwise, it states that the farm is heavily used, and that it is "by Søen and from 6-¼ miles [a Norwegian mile = to 7.018 miles] to Bergen." It is not reported that there are any plans for further reapportionment of the land.

  A shed on bruk 2 brann [brann means fire; unclear if it means it burned because it further explalins its subsequent use.] around 1946. It stood in the courtyard until the turn of the century around a store which was moved to Stamneshella and has been used as a building to display O.K. Dyvik's collections. At the base of the building there is [something] circular flat axe crafts [Some sort of craft fasioned by a flat hammer or axe]. On top of that there are still the old fittings to attach the bed to the wall. The way they are made is typical of the Renaissance era. Here you will find the year 1630 inscribed, and it is probably the year when the shed was built. The later addition of the ceiling is typical of the west Norwegian buahus [possibly attic]. The house was certainly impressive for its time and is known in the community as the Kallestad loft.

  In 1863 there were arable fields containing 9 mål here. 7 mål were of good quality, the rest intermediate. Bøen was 31.5 mål. Of this 13 mål was good bø [fenced in meadow], 10 mål was of intermediate quality, and the rest was poor bø. Pasture land for producing fodder for winter feeding takes up the smallest area on the farm. In 1863 the amount of pasture land appears to be 1/5 too small. In Toskedal forte! [forte = hurry, but here I think it might mean there is extra.] Kallestad then rented a piece of grassland on the Vardafjellet [somewhere on the mountain]. Kallestad men paid a rundsko [Literally it would mean round shoe. Obviously it has a different meaning here.] for the year. Land Commission in 1661 found no rights or priviledges that were worth mentioning other than for firewood.

  In 1863 they had enough forest to use for wood, house logs and for whatever else was needed and could moreover sell the rest for a net 6 spd. annually. There were groves of ash trees ranging from the sea and into the hills which were logged every year. Gathering leaves for fodder was also done. It was said that many people came here from far away to log. Elsewhere on the property there are the moors and some outlying fields. In 1863 the amount of hay from the outlying fields was calculated to be 160 våger [1 våg = 39.5 pounds]. The mill [probably grist mill] is on the river in Kallvik. The mill is not in use any more. From 1861-1880 on the river Sedal the user could rent the use of a grist mill for 25 cents a year. The mill was later taken over by the user on bruk 2 here. There isn't much fishing. Formerly there was a little fishing for herring. An opplysing [educational material] from 1590 describes a mackeral fishery that belongs to Kallestad, but probably not Kallestad in Stamnes, but another farm further west. In recent times, some salmon fishing is done.

  When Sandalen was spun off as its own farm, the salmon fishing rights were ended and were opened for general use. There remains some trace of this as several ruins bordering the sea.

Eigarar (Owners)

  Kallestad was monastic property in 1400. Munkeliv Klosters record of ownership 1427: "III Kallestadir in Straumkvarve." Munkeliv Klosters record of ownership 1463: "Item Kola Places." Munkeliv Klosters Domesday Book 1480-90: "Af Karlastadom five Mamatabol habeo uttenfore Stavnes." (This is under Halsøen.) (Under Haus) "Call Places III ind with Stavnes."

  How the farm came to be owned by the monastery is revealed in the oldest written document, a certificate from 1303. The translated letter reads as follows: "Greetings to all of God's friends, those who see or hear this letter, from God, [?&] Peter, abbot in Jonskyrkja Bjørgvin. Brother Peter and Torkel Munkeliv Ogmundsson came to us Veta skirtorsdag [I think this refers to a church holy day, possibly Maundy Thursday. Possibly this means they came that day or they wanted to come that day.] the year 1303 after the birth of our Lord. Torkel made known to us and our brothers Erlend and Sigurd that he had sold three månadsmatars rent in Kallestad in Oster to Ronolf Abbet and brothers in Munkeliv for 12 kyrlag. Ragnhild, his wife, and Torkel had given consent to the trade, she had designated this land for her child. Since Torkel had not even asked him to configure our seals under this letter to a true testimony [wasn't able to discern the meaning of this sentence]. These witnesses were present at the trade: Havard in Revskrida, father of Ragnhild, Elling on Blom, Jon white [white is not capitallized so is probably a descriptive term], Elf on Havrå, Bertor clerk, Kolbein his father and many other good men said before eating on this day."

  Here we can recognize some of the owners before the farm was owned by the monastic order, Ragnhild Havard daughter and Torkel Ogmundsson.

  Ragnhild is a daughter of Havard in Skreia. Since it says that she inherited the farm for [on behalf of] a little child, it is likely that she has been married before, and that a child she had in this marriage has had property rights to Kallestad. Which family owned the farm prior to Ragnhild, we can not say for certain, but probably it was peasant ownership [distinct from government or church]. In the 1600s Kallestad was in Haus parish.

  During the trial against the priest Nils Hierman in 1706 the two users on Kallestad also testified. Each of them paid a riksdaler 12 shillings in land rent for the year. Besides this they were owed 20 shillings in work benefits and also more for chopping wood for the priest. Knut, the user who leased in 1694, had had great difficulty before he obtained his lease documents. It was plain that they had to pay a fee before they had the lease, and Knut had offered the priest 10 riksdallar, but the priest demanded 16, and he had to pay it before he got the lease. We don't have any other witness to the priest's unreasonable demands. It seems that they [the priests] didn't have concerns, especially for the old users. Everything from 1735 is included in the lease documents that gives the older people secured conditions. In 1852 the users received the royal conveyance, but the farm would still owe land tax to the minister. This fee was set at 1 tunne, 1-1/2 fjerdingkar for the use of each building.

Brukarar (Users)

1590-91: Ivar (Iffuer).

1603: Knut. He pays a dalar in land tax.

1611-1655: Sjur Olsen. In the beginning he was the sole user, but in 1655 he and wife Berete transfer half of the farm to son Johannes, born 1611.

1655: Johannes Sjursson b. 1611 d. 1692.  In 1657 he had winter feeding of six cows, one heifer, 6 goats and 6 sheep. On the farm of the family there was a horse, an ox, 6 cows, 7 goats and 8 sheep.

Knut b. 1646 User on bruk 2.

Sjur b. 1664 User on bruk 1.

Olav Johannesson b. 1647 Crofter here in 1701, var og kan henda son åt denne brukaren. [?illegitimate son]

  Sjur Johannesson b. 1664 was user here before 1690.


Olav b. 1680. Farmer on Stamnes 1721.

Marta b. 1688 married the next user here.

Johannes b. & d. 1694.

  1712 Johannes Nilsson b. 1689 d. 1771. His parents Nils Nilsson & his wife Dordi Nilsdatter, b. Eide were husfolk here.   Johannes b. 1712 m. Marta Sjursdatter b. 1688 d. 1768. They lived together for 56 years and it was so unusual at the time that the priest found reason to record it in the church records at the time of his funeral.


Brita b. 1713 married the next farmer at Mo, St.[Stamnes parish], Johannes b. 1715.

Kari b. 1717 m. Olav E. Myster br. 3, Resided there.

Maria b. 1728

  1743 Olav Jonson Mo, St. b. 1721 d. 1794 m. Brita Johannesdatter b. 1713 d. 1763. They took over the farm from her father. Two children died young. The others were:

Brita b. 1750 m. Haldor J. Veo, br 3

Johannes b. 1753, see husfolk

Olav b. 1756 d. after 1794

Kari m. Lars Johannesson Skjold, Herdla.

Marta m. Jon Johannesson on Place Stemnessund. [presumably a named place on Kallestad]

Olav married a second time to Helga Jonsdatter Kvamme b. 1742 d. 1782


Brita b. 1767 m. next user

Jon b. 1769. m. Marta Jonsdatter Myster br. 1-2.

  After Helga died the estate was valued at 27 riksdalar 2 mark 14 skilling and after Olav died it was valued at 31 riksdalar 2 mark 12 skilling.  

1788 lease to Lars Askjelsson Vik b. 1764 d. 1826. etc.

Bruk 2

  1694 leased to Knut Johannesson b. 1646 d. 1738. His wife Siri Olsdatter b. 1675 4. 1741.

4 born and died young. The others were:

Anna b. 1701 m. Eirik M. Herfindal, resided there.

Johannes b. 1706, resided here.

Olav b. 1709, resided Kallekleiv, Gjerstad sokn.

Johannes b. 1710.

Ingeborg b. 1713.

  1735 leased to Johannes Knutsson b. 1706 d. 1762. The lease contract was written so that his parents would receive the proceeds in their lifetime. He was married to Synneva Nilsdatter Kallvik b. 1713.

2 children were born and died young. The others were:

Anna b. 1735, resided in Nordvik in Sotra.

Magne b. 1736, user here

Maria b. 1740

Olav b. 1749, reside in Kvamme br. 1.

Sigrid b. 1754 married Johannes K. Mo, lived at Mo St,

Marta b. 1758.

Nils b. 1759.

  1762 leased to Magne Johannesson b. 1736 d. 1769 m. Anna Johannesdatter b. in Stamnesleiro 1728 d. 1817.

Gjertrud b. 1764 m. Eirik M. Eide br. 1

Johannes b. 1769, user here

Father's estate: to son 1 mark 8-2/3 sk. & daughter 12-1/3 sk.

  1770 a soldier Gulleik Magnesson Eide br. 1 b. 1743 d. 1811 m. Anna Johannesdatter. He was a juror in 1790. A daughter, Marie was born in 1774 and died a year later.   1791 Leased to Johannes Magnesson b. 1769. He gave a pension to his stepfather and mother. His wife was Maria Magnesdatter Eide br. 1 b. 1755 d. 1830. Estate settlement was 13 spd. 2 mark 8 skilling.


Magne b. 1797 d. 1803.

Olav b. & d. 1800

  1819 Leased to Magne Eiriksson Eide, sister's son of the previous user. The elderly previous users received a pension. Magne was a fiddler. Magne was born on Eide br. 1 in 1787 d. 1881 m. Brita Larsdatter Kallestad br 1 b. 1797 d. 1822. The estate settlement was 19 riksdalar 4 mark 13 sk.


Marie b. 1820 m. Eiliv Olsson Bukkstein br. 1, resided in Manger

Eirik b. 1821 lease place Sandalen on this farm

  Magne married a second time to Anna Nilsdatter Kalland b. 1805 d. 1889. In 1852 he received the conveyance of the "king's lease" for the farm for 250 spd. and jordagift [land charge].

Born: 2nd marriage

Johannes b. & d. 1824

Johannes b. 1825, user here.

Nils b. 1828, user in Grøsvik br. 1.

Brita b. 1830 d. 1834.

Gjertrud b. 1833 m. Olav Jakobsson Nøttveit in 1858.

Olav b. 1837 m. widow Herborg Kallvik, resided there.

Magne b. 1840. See Myster br. 5.

Mons b. 1844, user in Elvik br. 1.

Lars, resided in U.S.A.

  1854 transferred to Johannes Magnesson for 250 spd. and pension. Johannes b. 1825 d. 1910 m. Brita Jonsdatter Grøsvik br. 1, b. 1831 d. 1858. They lived first for a time in Grøsvik, then came here.   Estate settlement when Brita died farm to widower for 275 spd.


Anna b. 1849  m. Jakob E. Myster br. 2

Guri b. 1852 m. Knut K. Elvik br.

Nils b. 1854, user here

Brita b. 1856.

  Johannes was married a second time in 1859 Inga Jonsdatter Grøsvik br. 1 b. 1839 d. 1885. Johannes was in a committee for the 1867 nyskiping med soknedelinga. [no idea what this means]

Born in the 2nd marriage:

Magne b. 1862, farmer in U.S.A.

Johannes b. 1864 resided at Stamnes br. 14.

Brita b. 1868 d. 1872.

Jakob b. 1871 d. 1872. Jakob b. 1873. See br. 4 Solheim.

Brita b. 1877 m. Johannes K. Simenes.

Guri b. 1880.

   1891 transferred to Nils Johannesson for 1400 kr. & pension rights. Nils b. 1854 d. 1907 m. Marie Knutsdatter Elvik b. 1853 d. 1891. He fished commercially and was forman of a pollock fishing crew. Nils was in fatigstye [no translation found, but seems to refer to government] and school inspections and a tax collector.


Johannes b. 1877 d. 1878

Brita b. 1878, resided in U.S.A.

Malene b. 1880 m. Nils Magnesson Myster, resided U.S.A.

Johannes b. 1886, resided in U.S.A.

Knut b. 1883, resided in U.S.A.

Mons b. 1886, farmer here.

Inga b. 1888 d. 1905.

Magne b. 1891

  Nils married a second time to Marta Simonsdatter Hesjedal St. b. 1855 on place Mikkjelshaugen. [the name of a place on Kallestad]


Ingvald b. 1893, see br. 12.

Marie b. 1895 d. 1896.

Sigurd b. 1896 d. 1898.see Stamnes br. 63.

Top of Page