Back to Vaksdal Bygdebok

Gardsnr. 35 Eide

  Located at the head of Eidsfjord on a moraine [glacial debris] between the head of the fjord and Eksingedalselva. The farm is located up on top of the moraine, about a 1 km straight line from the old farm Myster. One could walk between the two farms, but had to take a boat to get over the river. The boats lay in Båthølen, where the bridge was later built. The Eidslandet pier on the fjord serves Eide, Eikefet and Eikemo. The steam boats stop here for the general store and sub-post office. 1820-30 a pack trail was built from Eide to Høvik in Eksingedalen. Before that the farms in the lower Eksingedalen, had often gone to Mo when they went to sea. Now they transmitted their goods to and from Eidslandet. In 1880 a suitable road was built to Eksingedalen. From 1919-1939 a road along Eidsfjord was under construction and opened for travel over the country to Stamnes and Straume.

  Farm name was written Eidh 1463, Eide 1610, 1667, 1723. Target pronunciation is an `e. The name is a dative one of inkjekjønsordet owned [no idea what the preceding phrase means], meaning land neck ell. isthmus. It harks back to an old Indo-Germanic word meaning farm. Eid used as place names have mostly always had something to do with walks. Most often between two fjords or rivers where, one had to go by land. Magnus Olsen writes about this farm name in the Norwegian farm names: "It falls Eksingedalen significant Vasdrag [vasdrag=groove for dragging a boat]out. The name probably originated at the beginning of Land Transport up to this long valley Gaarde.

  Eide borders Mellesdal, Brørvik, Mostraum, Langedal, Eikefet and Myster. Eksingedalselva borders with Myster. The official boundary with Myster was set in 1837. About the border with Brørvik, see Brørvik. Border with the other neighboring farms are, as far as can be seen, not written or registered."

  The oldest written testimony of the farm is found in Munkeliv monastery land register 1463. There is a burial mound recorded on the farm in 1963, but it is not yet excavated, so that one does not know how old it is. Farm name is not of such a type that can give some guidance on what time the farm is ?occupied. The name tells of walks, not a permanent settlement, but it is reasonable to believe that the early people have settled in a place so central to farming and good fishing. Eide is probably one of the oldest farms in the parish Stamnes.

  There is no evidence that the farm was shut down after the Black Death. It was paid leidang [a military term] both 1567 and 1590-91. 1626 the host farm characterized as follows: "in all ways, noged Calling Furreschouff thiil Husbehoff. " "In all ways,"refers to the note for Lillejord, "is langtt and thil Fieldz is noged Calling Fureschouff." This must be said to be the attempt to make the farm ringare than it was. In the land register in 1723 we find this: "11 Owned 3 Mænd land rent one ran Butter 1 / 2 t. Malt, [then follows further long description of farm produce.]...

  The settlement at Eide shows unusually high stability. The 3 main farms stayed in the same families until 1924. Br. 1 is called "Olastovo." The first Olav we find on this farm in 1694. His descendants have lived on the farm ever since. Br. 2, "Jakobsstovo" has the name of Jacob J. Straume, who leased this farm in 1735. His widow was married to Bertil H. Eikefet. and their descendants still live on the farm. Br. 3, "Larastovo" was named for Lars J. Eikemo, who was the user in 1735. He was married to the daughter of the old user, and their descendants still live on the farm.

Eigarer (Owners)

  1463 Eide is mentioned in the land register as owned by Munkeliv monastery. It says only: "Item Eidh," nothing about how big a part the monastery owns. It is reasonable to suppose, though, that it was the entire farm. Next time we find information about the owner's accounts is in 1590-91. The farm was leased from the king or in what was essentially the bishop's estate, the so-called "Stig Tens Gods." In 1626 we find the farm in "Konng. Mayttz Jordeboegh "(The Royal Majesty's land register). 1648 called it "Ko. Ma. eyer and bøxler. "and 1661" King Götz Der aff has Halduor Mundal 1 1øb in mortgage [possibly Halduor Mundal had the property, but mortgaged to the king] The victims included Kongenn." [?the previous owner included the king] At this time there were a lot of king's leases, and when somewhat later the land was sold, it was often the mortgagee who signed. That's what happened in this case. In 1676 Halvard Mundal is promoted as the owner. In 1689 Rasmus Hannestveit owns half of the farm. It is stated in 1694 that the owners of the other half are Barbro Midtgaard and Ingeborg Ellvig. If these persons are heirs of Halvard Mundal we don't know, but should be able to find out by studying the manuscript, "The Population in Hosanger" by teacher Eknes, which is in the state archives in Bergen.

  The slope [hell - translates as slanting, but probably has an archaic meaning of some sort here.] that Barbro Midtgaard and Ingeborg Ellvig ell. [could find no translation for ell.] Hjelvik (the name was Jelwig in 1700) owned, changed ownership only in the 1700s. The user at Eide bnr. 3, Hans Olsson, had a deed for their part, ie 1/4 of total farm in 1705. Those who gave the deed are (in long transcriptions Helles) Eiliv Midtgaard, Olav Leknes, Berja Nepstad, Lars Haland, Olav Nepstad, Halvard Nesse, Mons Hopland and Hans Ryland. The second half was the fourth in 1718, "Christen Garmands Widow" as owner, but that same year all of that part was deeded to the user on bnr. 1, Olaf Johannesson. Lease was issued by the General Customs manager Johan Garmand on behalf of Hans Henrikson Urdal.

  The farm Rasmus Hanne Tveit owned, [or ?inherited] in the 1700s is described in Hannestveit's family genealogy. In 1718 Johannes Hannah Tveit appears to be the owner of the whole part, but it was Erling Hannestveit who wrote out the leases for the users in 1720. 1748 it is stated that the land, or a part of it, has been signed over to Brita Rasmusdatter and that her daughter Brita Ivarsdatter then inherited 8 2/3 merker smør, 1 4/9 kanner [?barrels] grain, the valuation for 8 rdl. 4 ort. Brita was married to Olav Nilsson Fammestad, and he gave her consent in 1748 to convey this part to her brother, sheriff Magne Eidsheim. In 1770 it is stated that a part of the expenses of Eide had been a conveyance in 1747.We don't know who or what the conveyance was for, but likely was between Ivar Magneson Eidsheim and sister Brita Magnesdatter who was married to a farmer and sheriff, Nils Nilsson Revheim 1765. Ivar and Brita seem to have inherited a total of 18 merker smør, 6 kanner grain, for the valuation for 29 rdl. 3 ort and 12 sk. In 1770 N. Revheim gave Nils, who was married to Brita and was curator of Ivar Magneson, giving this part to Olaf Ivarsson Askeland. Olav previously owned 12 merker smør, 4 kanner grain portion in the farm, so after this conveyance he owns 30 merker smør and 10 kanner grain. In 1770 Nils N. Revheim also transferred to Johannes Jonsson Hesjedal: 6 merker smør, 2 kanner grain, that his wife, Brita Magnesdtter had inherited in 1757. (For 1757 that is probably the proper annual figures for the transfer referred to above and the date is the same on both, 18 / 6). Johannes J. Hesjedal received from Ivar Larsson Eide on bnr. 3 of 18 merker smør, 6 kanner grain and now owns a total of 1 pund of smør [6 kg], 8 kanner grain, for the total valuation of 52 rdl. Johannes died in 1771. He is the user on bnr. 1 in Hesjedal. 1775 gave the widow Anna et al Skating on a pund of butter, 8 kanner grain to Ivar Larsson, who was the user on bnr. 3.

etc. (skipped over some produce information)


  1590-91 Eirik was user. For land rent he paid 1 Lauper [1 laup = 18 kg.] butter, 1 sheep. In leidang [probably a tax to support war effort] : 1 goat skin, a sheep, a calf leather and paid customs peace toll forthird year. In another paragraph in the same bilge accounts we find Eric Eide, among 26 men, who giveHosanger military annually in peace toll: 2 slaughtered cattle, but these men we find between those who do not give Krün [lease from the king] or Stigten land rent, and Eide is at this time promotes under "Stigten's Gods."

  1603 Randue is the user.

  1611: Knut. He pays a land tax in the valleys. Knut was also mentioned in 1620, when he paid 1 dollars [probably means rigsdollars or rdl.] in land tax. 1630-31 paid his full tax: 2 rdl., but in 1638 Knut Eide is among half farm and abandoned farms that only pay half tax. Each pays 1/2 ort. Another user in Eide, Olav, 1638 is among those who pay full tax returns. Each one ort.

  1645 we find for the first time three users simultaneously. One is Knut Eriksson with his wife Ågot.
number 2, Olav Knutsson with his wife Barbro and a daughter Gertrude, and the number 3 Arne Eriksson iand his wife Anna. After the taxes of 1648 Olav owned half of the farm and Knut and Arne one quarter each. The same relationship was found in 1655. 1661 there is reference to two users, one named Olav, but in 1666 there are 3 users, all with equal portions. See further under the individual users. Knut and Arne, Erik's sons referred to in manntalet 1645, are probably sons of Eirik who was the user in 1590. Arne is mentioned only this one time, but in 1666 there is a boy, Knut Arneson, 12, on the farm. He is probably the son of Arne and his wife Anna.

Bruk 1

  Around 1665 leased to Jon Olsson, b. 1645. Jon was probably the son of Olav Knutsson. See br. 3.

  1694, leased to Olav Jonsson, probably born about 1655, d. 1735. 1718, he was user on part of the farm, 18 merker smør, 6 kanner grin. Olav was first married to Anna Magnesdatter b. about 1669. She was the daughter of Magne Sjursson Romarheim b. 1620 d. 1696 and his wife Siri Olsdatter b. 1624 d. 1692.


Jon b. and d. 1696.

Siri b. 1697. 1714 m. Anders Jensson Myster, see Myster br. 4.

Martha, b. 1700. m. John K. Grøsvik, see Grøsvik bnr. 3.

Brita b. 1703. m. Mons Anderson Veo, Veo see bnr. 2.

Ingeborg b. 1704 d. 1706.

Magne b. 1707. User here.

Ingeborg. 1731 m. James G. Knutsson Trefall, see Trefall.

Jon. G. 1737 m. Anna Simonsdatter Høvik.

Anna b. 1713. m. Johannes Jonsson Hesjedal, see Hesjedal, Stamnes br. 1.

Ingebrigt b. and d. 1721.
   His wife Anna died in 1721 at age 52 years. There was an estate settlement, and a remnant of the original document still exists. Heirs besides widower Olav Magne, were children, Jon, Siri, Marta, Brita, Ingeborg, Anna. The estate included 18 merker smør, 6 kanner grain, with the valuation of 24 rdl. Since the document is incomplete, we don't know how it was changing but the change that was held in 1735 shows that [part] belonged to widower and the rest was probably divided among the children.
  Olav was married a second time in 1722 to. Marie Ingebrigtsdatter Hesjedal b. 1684 d. 1737.

Ingebrigt b. 1726 d. 1769 unmarried.

Knut b. 1727. See Olsnes, tenants.
  This was the settlement after Olav died in 1735. Together with the widow's sons, Jon and Magne from first marriage, Ingebrigt, and his daughters, Martha, Brita, Ingeborg and Anna from the second marriage. Estate valuation 9 merker smør and kanner grain with a valuation of 12 rdl.  

  1736 Transferred to Magnus Olsson from the mother and siblings. This transfer is referenced in the estate in 1741. Magne m. Ingeborg Andersdatter Veo b. 1701 d. 1741. They had two daughters:

Anna b. 1737. G.m. John H. Eikefet. See household.
Siri b. 1739. G.m. James B. Eide BNR. 2.

  In 1741 Ingeborg's probate estate was valued at 16 rdl. and was shared among the widower and the two daughters. Magne married a second time in 1742 to Marie Gulleiksdatter Øyo b. 1712 d. 1799. Magne was lagrettemann [translates as juror, but probably has another meaning here.] 1741. He was b. 1707 d. 1765.


Olav b. 1742. User here.

Gulleik b. 1743. User Kallestad on br. 2.

Gudmund b. 1745.

Ingeborg b. 1785 m. 1747 vs. Anders L. Eide, resident in Haukøy Hosanger.

Sigrid b. 1748. m. John Trettenes.

Erik b. 1749. User here.

Gunhild b. 1752 d. 1782 ug.

Marie b. 1755. m. Johannes M. Kallestad, see Kallestad br. 2.

  In probate Magne 1765 gave to the 4 sons, Olaf, Gulleik, Gudmund and Eirik, 3 rdl. 4 ort and 4 sk. each, and daughters, Ingeborg, Sigrid, Gunhild and Marie, 1 rdl. 5 ort and 2 sk. each. Some of the inheritance was in landed property.

  1765 Transferred to Olav Magneson from the mother and siblings for a total of 18 merker smør, 6 kanner grain with a valuation of 16 rdl. Olav had inherited a part, the valuation at 1 rdl., so he needed to pay 15 rdl. This document still exists on the farm. In the same year, Olav leased out the equivalent of 6 merker smør, 2 kanner grain. The settlement papers were found on the farm. Olav b. 1742 d. 1791 was married to Brita Olsdatter Nese b. 1728. They had no children who survived to adulthood. In 1779 Olav acquired the part he had leased.

  1785 and 1789 Eirik Magneson leased from his brother Olav, each time for half the farm. Olav and his wife had kårbrev [kårbrev was a contract for old age sustenence] in 1785. Erik b. 1749 d. 1833, and in 1782 he married Gertrude Magnesdatter Kallestad br. 2, b. 1764 d. 1852. Erik was a school teacher in Stamnes 1785 and was assistant in the establishment of Stamnes parish. A letter to him from the parish priest was found on the farm. Eirik Eide Magneson b. 1749 d. 1833, m. Gertrude Magnesdatter Kallestad br. 4 b. 1764 d. 1852. They had these children:


Magne b. 1784. User here.

Magne b. 1787. User Kallestad on br. 2.

Marie b. 1791. m. Nils Elvik, see Elvik br. 2.

Olav b. 1793 d. 1810.

Anna b. 1797. m. Mons J. Stamnes, see Stamnes br. 2.

Ingeborg b. 1800. G.m. Anders M. Kalland, Resident Lindås. See Mellesdal br. 2.

Gunhild b. 1805. G.m. Knut A. Grøsvik, see Grøsvik husfolk

Bruk 3

  About 1690 Hans Olsson Brørvik leased this farm. The paternal grandfather, Olav Knutsson Eide had probably lived on the same farm. (The children of Olav Knutsson were: Gertrude, Olav b. 1638, residing in Brørvik, Jon b. 1645, user in Eide 1666, Knut b. 1650, Matias b. 1653.) In 1705he got his conveyance on the part of the farm, 18 merker smør, 6 kanner grain available from Eiliv Midtgaard et al The rest, which was 6 merker smør and 2 kanner grain, owned [?by] Elling Hannestveit, and Hans acquired lease from him. Hans b. 1664 d. 1730 was married to Anna Johannesdatter Leiro in 1697. She was b. 1668 d. 1733.


Brita b. 1698. m. next user.

Marta, b. 1700.

Johannes b. 1701. settled on Askvik, Hosanger.

Olav b. 1702. m. 1726 Synneva Knutsdatter. Mountain.

Jon b. 1705. Resident of Borne.

Synneva b. 1707. m. 1735 farmer Anders J. Veo, See Veo.

Nils b. 1710. User Leiro in 1750.

Olav b. 1714. G. and settled on Eikemo. Hosanger.

His estate in 1731 was valued 71 rdl. ort 2 and 5 sk. Daughter Marta is not mentioned in the probate and must be dead before 1731.
1734 Lars Johannesson Eikemo received 16 1 / 2 m. butter, 5 1 / 2 k. from his wife's joint heirs. Lars b.


Hans b. 1732.

Anna b. 1733. (sick)

Ivar b. 1735 user here.

 Lars married a second time to Anna Olsdatter Gammersvik b. 1718 2 children died young.


Mons b. 1743 d. 1773 unmarried

Brita b. 1747.

Kari b. 1754.

Anna b. 1757 m. Lars J. Straume.

Olav b. 1759 m. 1795 Kari Andersdatter Odderås

Top of Page